write

write

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Magic Hug

Shrill screams, creaks of tables and chairs being pushed almost blasts my ears. “Is this what I wanted in life?” I question myself with my nose and eyes playing a race in who gets to shed most water out of each. The dusts from the floor boards send another round of sniffling snot down my nose. I quickly reach out for a tissue to wipe it before the screaming kids stop their monkey business to laugh at me.
It’s back to school time yet again. But this time with the change in the school, I start doubting my own interest in being a teacher. Walking in a classroom filled with mature students is a totally different experience from being in a class filled with li’l kids screaming all over; some with complaints and some just screaming for the sake of their age.
With His Majesty’s B’day celebration just round the corner, all of us are busy with preparations. My li’l group jumped with full alacrity when they heard that we have to perform a dance from our class. Seeing their interest I was relieved that my old limbs are going to be free. But their interest and ability ended with the choosing of song. “Ngesem, Ngesem, madam!” and before I could even provide another option I found them lining up for the dance. But when the music actually started, there were only coy giggles.
All eyes on me, they pleaded for steps. Ensuring that the classroom door was latched, I stood up and started the one-two-one-two according to the beat. After two hours we had the steps ready for the entire song. “Madam, kho gi lab shey mee tubay la!” I hear a li’l girl complaining. Never knew boys had apprehension in holding hands with girls. Well, maybe they get ready for that only with age (kidding!).
Agitated after repeated order to hold hands, I scold the li’l boy. Tears flood his cheeks and his snot follows suit. The mother in me stirs. I pull him in my arms and say sorry. His snot wets my tego but I don’t wipe it. I let him go only after his tears stop. The others look at me as I let him go. I see love in those tiny pairs of eyes looking at me.
After that he holds the girl readily (Magic hug has done the trick).
I repeat my previous apprehension about my career in my heart. Looking at the innocent faces dancing to my steps I shove that thought away instantly. No! This career choice shall never be wrong.
“Ngesem, ngesem,….” I dance with my twenty tiny tots.

3 comments:

  1. nice one madam and if u can change the template, it would be better for reading...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I love the way you write, ma'am. I really do hold teachers in high esteem and with lots of respect! Lots of appreciations and nice to know that there is one such dedicated teacher like you. Keep posting. :) And yeah sing and dance Ngesem Ngesem with our pupils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sonam Tshering- thanks for the suggestion, shall work on it as soon as I get a break from ngesem ngesem, lol.

    @Langa- I m trying y best to keep the old creaking bones in shape so as to be in sync with my li'l ones.

    ReplyDelete