write

write

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cooking up a Fairytale


The second snowfall was beautiful; it was thicker and stayed long enough to allow the kids to have the share of fun they always talk about. Taking the kids out and making a (not so beautiful) snowman was an awesome fun thing to do. But the aftermath of this few minutes of fun was definitely not so good. The white blanket outside led to dark homes for three consecutive days. I guess this was no deal for some of the parents who have seen darker weeks and months before but for the kids who have always had some electronic gadget or the other it was monstrous three days without electricity.
Much of our daily schedule had to be changed as per the dark hours by the candle light. One event that I always follow with my daughters is the book reading session before going to bed. But I didn’t want them squinting their eyes trying to see the letters in the dim candle light. But rituals once started are difficult to break, especially with my li’l one. So I didn’t read them a story but I decided to tell them a story. The difficult part is my li’l one has to choose the character as per her mood and no other story would work. So, I asked, “what story do you want me to tell?” “Star and Moon!” Pat came the reply without further delay. So I had to cook up a story with moon and star and do it fast and lo! I did and by the end of it I was so impressed with myself that I decided to put it here.
Long ago, there lived a moon at the edge of the forest. One day, he got up and found out that he was really hungry and lonely. So he decided to go into the forest to find a friend and may be with some luck find something to fill his empty belly too. On the way he met a li’l girl with a red cape bouncing with a basket dangling on the hand. “Hi. What’s your name?” The moon asked. “I’m Red Riding Hood and I’m going to my grandma’s place to give her some cake and wine.” “Can I have some of it, please? I’m really hungry,” the moon pleaded. “I’m sorry these are for my granny, I can’t give it to you.” “Then can you please be my friend and play with me for some time?” “I’ve no time to waste,” replied the girl and she hopped away with much gusto. “Go then, May you encounter the wolf!” cursed the Moon and walked further deeper into the forest.
Next he met the Gingerbreadman. “Hello li’l man. Where are you off to?” asked the moon. “I’m Gingerbreadman and I ‘m running away from the old woman, the cow and the horse who want to eat me for tea. Byeeeeeee,got no time to chat,” and away he sprinted. “So much for a conversation, may a fox gobble you up,” cursed the Moon who was getting agitated with hunger.
As he walked on he met Humpty-Dumpty who was sitting on a wall. “Hello, Mr. Eggy, Can I eat you?” the moon drew nearer (by then his hunger was causing a huge wreck in his patience). “I ain’t no Eggy and No! You can’t eat me!” huffed Humpty- Dumpty. However, the Moon jumped closer and splash! down came Humpty- Dumpty. So the Moon ran away as far as possible before the king’s horses and the king’s men could come looking for the one who caused the mishap.
Soon he caught up with Puss in boots. “ Hiya, Round, Round, circle of a man, where ar’ yoo off to?” Puss asked in his western twang. “Hi, I’m Moon and really hungry,” he replied in one breath. “wooaahhhh……we got one hungry ‘un here, eh? Want this?” and he spread out his paws to reveal a freshly caught mouse. “Eww, thanks but no thanks, I’m not hungry for a mouse.” He darted off.
He then caught up with another lonely character in the small clearing. “I’m star and yes I do have some food for you.” Finally! The star shared his food with the moon and they played in the rose garden outside the star’s house. The moon was so happy and wanted to reward the good character, so he asked the star to hold his hands and close his eyes. The moon then said some magical chant and off he darted with the star. When they opened their eyes, they were far off in the sky away from all other unfriendly characters. That’s why still to this day we see the friendship between the star and the moon is strong and no other character can reach out to them. THE END.
So, this was the story I cooked up for my li’l girls. Dark nights can sometimes ignite the sparks of imaginations. By the way, all the fairytale characters are some familiar characters we meet every night when we have our bedtime story readings. If your kids are acquainted with some more characters, you can go on adding but don’t you forget to make your child choose the main character! That brings out the real joy in your kiddo.

3 comments:

  1. wow! that's a great story.. enjoyed reading.... Don't forget to post more it is not just your li'l that enjoy your story but i also do.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, ma'am. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete