" Since the lower classes are never getting the opportunity to participate in House football matches, this year we've decided to have inter-class football tournament for classes 4 & 5," as soon as this was announced in the assembly I saw an uproar in my class. "Madam, do we need to buy boots?" I cast a glance at some boys who may not be in a position to ask their parents for the same,and reply,"No, none of you are going to ask your parents to buy that for one silly match!"
"Owwww," snaps Kinley, who is son of a Contractor. Phuntsho and Khenrab run towards him and they go 'mumble, mumble, mumble.' Not wanting to hurt them I add," but if you already have it, you can wear it."
"YESSSS!" the trio yell in unison with their tiny ten year old's fist raised. Since that day a month ago they have been pelting on me questions about their so many football related issues. But the match had to be postponed owing to two weeks of Reading week followed by the Earthquake drill and other activities that required immediate action than their promised knock-out match.
Then finally, yesterday, the much awaited moment came! It was announced in the assembly by the Games teacher, "today we are going to start the match. The first match will be between 5A and 5B."
My 5A boys do not wait for me to take their attendance. As soon as I walk into the class, I am bombarded with thousand and one issues they have for the match they are going to have in the evening. "Madam, Jigme has to be our goalie but he doesn't want to play," is the first thing I hear before the usual "good morning madam."
I've only 15 boys and if Jigme says 'no' then I am left with only 3 extra players so I coax Jigme. Tears brimming in his eyes, he shakes his head whenever I ask him why he wouldn't want to play for his class. Somehow I find out that Jigme lost his boots just few days ago, owing to which his mom has promised that she would break his bones if he even think of football. I call up his mom and convince her to set Jigme free of this pledge.
Whew! I walk back into the class putting off my phone. "Jigme is playing but he doesn't want to be goalie madam," they report as soon as my head emerges into the class. I scan through the sea of faces and exclaim, "Arun, you be the goalie!"
"No madam! He is the main striker!" they shout in unison. "Khenrab?" I ask unsure (afterall what do I know of football?). "He has to play defence," they scream. There is total chaos now. Amid confusion, I see a tiny little hand go up. "Madam, I'll be the goalie," quips the tiniest boy in the class. "No, Sonam Chophel, class 5B boys are far more stronger for you," I discard his proposal before the others mock him.
"What about Chhoeing?" I hear some girls suggest. "He is wings," shouts Kinley. I almost see chubby Chhoeing flying with a pair of white wings.
I take a solemn look at everybody in the class and totally defeated, I go back to Jigme, fold my arms and order," Jigme, you are our goalie!"
Before there is any more refusal, I open the book and start reading. Everybody shuffles towards their respective seats and with disinterest written well over their faces sit down to read "Mum, dad and me".
Classes over, I go down to find all of my boys in the football ground. All save Jigme. Jigme has run away! Sangay has randomly been pushed towards the goal post. The referee blows the whistle and my boys, all wearing new football jersey and boots( They have bought it after all!) are found running like a huge circular mass around the ball.
"Hah!" I laugh the loudest. Hadn't I heard them talk of Wings, centre and so many other terms? I catch my tummy, laughing as my boys come out of the field having been defeated 2-0 by the strong 5B boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment